Seeing Clearly Through the Storm
When severe weather is on its way, it can be hard to remember all the things you can do to be ready and protect what’s most important to you. Our handy storm safety checklist can help keep your home in order and your family safe:
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer to their coldest settings the day before the storm to keep food fresh in the event of a power outage.
- Remove outside antennas and satellite dishes, being careful to look up for power lines before you get started. Remember, if you can’t avoid a power line, don’t do the work. Antennas can be replaced – it’s not worth the risk.
- Turn off or unplug any unnecessary electrical equipment, especially sensitive electronics such as computers and televisions.
- Back up your computer files. If you have a laptop, be sure the battery is fully charged.
- Make sure your cellphone is charged so you can communicate with your family, friends, energy company, utility company, and government emergency agencies. If possible, have backup batteries available. Investing in a solar charger might be a good idea if you expect long-term power outages.
- Ensure that emergency equipment like flashlights, battery-operated radios, and generators are in working order. Check what size batteries your equipment uses, and try to keep extra batteries on hand.
- Turn off all swimming pool pumps and filters and wrap them in waterproof materials. This protects them from electrical damage and debris.
- If someone in your home depends on continuously operating electric-powered medical equipment, make arrangements for backup power. If you can, you might want to evacuate to somewhere outside of the storm area.
Storm Resources for Businesses
Just like your home, your business can also be at risk when severe weather is on its way. Below are some additional resources to help you keep your business intact and your employees protected.
- Disaster Preparedness Kits
- Emergency Business Communication List
- National Weather Service Forecast
- Lightning Checklist for Risk Management
- Communications Related Links
- Hurricane Business Checklist
- Severe Storm Business Checklist
- How To Develop a Winter Storm Plan for Your Business
You never know what a big storm might bring to your area, so the more you prepare in advance, the better you’ll be able to face whatever happens.
Read more weather prep tips in The Light Lab.