While moving may be an exciting time for you, it can be a stressful time for your children. A move takes them away from their routine, and they are apt to be even more anxious about the move if they have concerns about their new home or their new school. So how do you make the move easier on your children? By making moving fun!
Here are 5 tips to create a fun move for the whole family.
- Hold a goodbye party. Your children may have fond memories of the home you are leaving behind, especially if it is the only home they have ever known. So give your old home a proper send-off by holding one last party. Invite cherished neighbors and your kids’ friends, and allow everyone to have one final fun event in the old home before you move.
- Make moving day a pleasurable experience for your family. Moving day involves a lot of work, but there are ways you can make the day less grueling for your kids. Start the day with a special breakfast for everyone, and include special treats or presents for your kids to enjoy throughout the moving process. Keeping a couple of your children’s favorite CDs available will make the moving process more enjoyable as well.
- Assign the kids specific roles and tasks. Moving with kids is easier if your kids are on board to help. One of the easiest ways you can get your kids excited about the process is to give them their own roles. Assign your children duties as “first moving assistants” and make them responsible for simple tasks. Maybe they are in charge of carrying a series of light boxes out to the truck or making sure the family dog doesn’t escape during the process. Whatever job you assign them, they’re more likely to support the move if they feel they have a vital role in seeing it completed.
- Avoid the grueling drive. Unless you enjoy the repetitive “Are we there yet?” planning some stops in the drive is a great idea. This is especially true if you have a long drive that will take you across state lines. If you have a longer trip, allot for extra time to stop at tourist destinations or popular attractions along the way. If you’re simply moving across town, stop for a bite to eat at a favorite restaurant. This will brighten everyone’s spirits and make moving with kids easier.
- Make the unpacking process a surprise. Your children may be nervous about arriving in their new home, so surprise them by hiding small presents or treats in the bottoms of their moving boxes. Finding these prizes will make the unpacking process more enjoyable and ensure you have the help of some enthusiastic little workers.
Moving to a new home can be a very stressful time for everyone, especially kids who may not understand all of the broader benefits and reasons for the move. You can make the process of moving with kids easier, however, by including them in the process and rewarding them for a job well done. Doing so will ensure everyone arrives at your new home as ready and excited as you are.