With the numerous apps, websites, and blogs available nowadays, traveling has become easier, cheaper, and much more unique. One of our favorite ways to travel and really immerse ourselves in the real culture and lifestyle of a given city, state, or country is through Airbnb.
Airbnb is a website where people can list space in their actual homes for rent to travelers just like you. Listings include houses, cabins, beach homes, lofts, apartments, and more. While most of the accommodations listed on Airbnb embody that of your average vacation home, there are some very unique, straight-out-of-a-fairy-tale lodgings you can stay in Texas for great prices!
1) Dubbed as one of “The Ten Coolest Airbnb Rentals in Austin, Texas” by Business Insider, this little house is perfect for those who want to get away from the busy city life while not straying too far. The 360 square feet studio is full of natural light, charm, and space. Despite its small size, the house includes a fully stocked kitchen, an over-sized bathroom, a cozy window seat, a queen-sized bed, a loft and two outdoor areas. When you’re done taking in the fresh air and peace of nature, downtown Austin is only two miles away.
2) This Victorian style cabin in Kyle, TX is perfect for those traveling with friends and/or family. Each of the twin cabins can accommodate up to seven people, while four more can stay in the loft. The privacy of the house make it great for hosting parties. The unique characteristics of the cabins include the beautiful custom breezeway, fire pit, and beautiful scenery. Guests can also feed the cows and mini horses during their stay. Only 25 minutes from downtown Austin, this country home is the perfect weekend family getaway.
3) This one-bedroom cottage is perfect for those who want to experience the true Texas countryside without sacrificing their 21st century luxuries. Decorated with charming antiquities like a wood burning stove and claw foot tub, the house still provides guests with amenities such as a washer and dryer, HD TV, cable, a private bedroom, a loft hideaway, and more. To add to its charm, the cottage is located close to the Blanco River, the Blue Hole Regional Park, and The Corral, one of the last outdoor theaters in the country. And if you’re in need of a bit of the city life, Austin is simply a 45-minute drive away.
The Texas Hill Country
4) Fully immerse yourself into nature in this two-cabin house. Nestled in the canyons that separate the Hill Country from West Texas and literally off the beaten track (located off of a gravel road), this house is perfect for those looking for some creative inspiration. The cabin makes up for its lack of a television or good cell reception with charming characteristics such as an outdoor (yet private) shower under a juniper tree, a bathroom built around a tree, a tree house, and lots of creeks and rivers to explore. For an extra fee, the host can enhance your experience with a yoga class, food basket delivery, and more.
5) If you’re looking for a romantic getaway, then this cabin is for you! The fairy lights, luxurious whirlpool, optional outdoor shower, and fire pit all make it the perfect place to unwind and relax. Located on 10 acres, the cabin is very cozy and private, except for the occasional llama and sheep living on the property. Only 8 miles from Fredericksburg, guests can have a taste of the country while still being able to go to wineries, restaurants, and shops.
6) Located on Canyon Lake, this train-themed guest house is great for adventure seekers. While the house boasts a large open space, full bath, two beds and a complete kitchen, the main attraction is the two-level tree house located on the property. The tree house has three hammocks and comes with sleeping bags, which makes it perfect for relaxing with a good book or spending a night under the stars. Guests will also have access to a fire pit, two canoes, and life jackets.
7) If you’re looking for a comfortable retreat, then this cabin is for you! The two bedroom cabin nestled in a ranch boasts a full kitchen, stone walls, wood shower floors, and a dining nook with a native river rock wall. But what makes this cabin stand out from others is the plunge pool with an infinity edge overlooking the Guadalupe River below. Take in the gorgeous views from the deck any time of the day while relaxing in the temperature controlled pool where the water seems to fall into the river below.
8) This unique miner’s casita is perfect for those looking to enjoy all West Texas has to offer. The updated one-hundred year old house, located in the ghost town of Terlingua, TX, is minutes away from some of the area’s greatest attractions such as Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park. While the limestone cabin does not have Wi-Fi, it boasts breathtaking views of the West Texas horizon and sky from the porch, and it’s only a few blocks away from restaurants and coffee shops that offer free Wi-Fi.
9) Located right on a small, private lake, Cloey’s Cabin provides guests with a true country experience. The house’s unique characteristic is its bath house, located in a grain silo behind the cabin. The bath house consists of two over-sized bath tubs made from horse troughs – but don’t worry the hosts will provide plenty of hot water! The cabin’s rustic appearance and wooden walls add to its charm, while still providing guests with a comfortable experience. And if you need a break from the country life, Tyler, Texas is a 20 minute drive to the east!
10) Located right behind a live/work art gallery, this tiny house is perfect for those creative types. The house boasts a vintage yet modern space with wooden walls, claw foot bathtub in the main room, and high ceilings. Despite its small size, the cabin-like structure features a kitchen, Wi-Fi, Apple TV and more to make your stay comfortable. Enjoy a cup of coffee or a good book on the outdoor deck, which is shared with the sister house Shotgun house studio behind gallery. In addition to the art gallery, the tiny house is also located near Downtown Dallas, Farmers Market, Deep Ellum and the Convention Center.
The next time you decide to take a vacation in Texas, opt for one of these unique lodging options!
Check out more Texas Treasures in The Light Lab!