FAQs for Texas

Get the Answers for Your Important Electricity Questions

Switch Holds FAQs for Texas

  • What is an Affidavit of Landlord?

    If you don't have a lease agreement, get your landlord to notarize the Affidavit of Landlord. This states your proof of residency at the premise and confirms that the landlord is not responsible for the previous occupant's charges. We will provide you with a blank Affidavit of Landlord form when we send you the New Occupancy Statement (NOS) form to complete.

    If you can't get the Affidavit of Landlord notarized, please give us either a copy of your entire lease agreement or a copy of your electric bill from your previous premise dated within the last 2 months. Both these documents must include your name on the agreement, or the person enrolling for...

  • How will I know if Switch Hold was removed?

    When your switch hold has been removed, your account with us will be noted with this information, and your service with us will be connected.

    We do ask that you do not contact your utility company with questions about the Switch Hold. Please call us at 1-855-534-3881 or e-mail us at FirstChoicePower@directenergy.com for an update. Please allow us time to receive your...

  • Why was the removal of the Switch Hold denied?

    Most likely, the Switch Hold at your service address wasn't removed because there is an association between you and the previous occupant of the service address. This is determined by the New Occupancy Statement (NOS) form and the supporting...

  • How do I get a New Occupancy Statement (NOS) form?

    It's simple - we'll give you one!

    To ask for a NOS to prove you're a new resident at your service address (and not the person who's late paying bills), please send an e-mail to enrollment.exceptions@directenergy.com...

  • How do I get the Switch Hold removed?

    Simple! All you have to do is download a New Occupant Statement (NOS) here, enter all the information, and sign it. Next, submit it to us with one of the following:

    • A copy of a signed lease agreement (in its entirety) in your name
    • A notarized Affidavit of Landlord (download a blank template here)
    • Closing documents in your name for purchase of the property
    • An electric bill in your name dated within the last two months from a different service address

    Send both documents to us either by e-mail at Enrollment.Exceptions@DirectEnergy.com or fax at 1-866-814-3021.If you send it via e-mail, the processing time is shorter.

    If you'd rather mail your documents, please send them to Enrollment Exceptions, 6502 South Yale Avenue, Tulsa, OK 74136. Please realize it can take up to 5 additional business days for us to receive any documents sent this...

  • What is a Switch Hold?

    A Switch Hold can be placed on your service by either a Retail Energy Provider (REP, or the electricity company you signed up with) for an outstanding bill (often from the prior tenant) or by the Transmission and Distribution Service Provider (TDSP, or the utility company for your area) due to meter tampering.

    The purpose of a Switch Hold is to make sure the person responsible for the bills at your service address pays any/all outstanding charges before switching to a new REP. The Switch Hold will remain in place until the specified charges have been paid.

    If you experience a Switch Hold issue during your enrollment process, it may be because the previous occupant left without paying his or her bills. To remove the Switch Hold, you will need to prove you're a new resident at that address, and not the person with the overdue bills. Only then will the TDSP or the previous REP remove the Switch Hold so you can keep signing up with us.

    To learn how to remove a Switch Hold, please visit this...

Contact Us

Looking for additional help? Just click that blue button below for a range of ways to speak with us!

Contact Us