I’m Ready to Switch. What Do I Do?
You found the Texas electricity company you like most. Now, it’s time to switch.
Once you select a new Texas electric company you like and pick a plan that works for you, the hardest part is over! The actual process of switching electric companies is easy – much easier than you’d think. Here’s what happens:
1) Contact your new electric company: Just place an order with your new energy provider – whether by phone, in person, or online – as that order indicates you want to switch. You don’t even have to your current electric company to let them know you’re leaving them. They’ll be notified for you.
If you select First Choice Power, visit our Plans Page to enroll with us, or call us at 1-855-534-3881!
2) Receive a note from ERCOT in the mail: Once you’ve switched to your new electric company, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) sends you a notification letter. Basically, ERCOT is confirming that you’ve switched electric companies and aren’t being slammed (switched without your permission).
3) Get a Terms of Service statement in the mail: Next, the utility company that physically delivers electricity to your home or business (also known as the Transmission and Delivery Service Provider, or TDSP) sends you a Terms of Services agreement.
If you choose First Choice Power, we’ll send you a welcome kit with details on your plan and some information about all the great things you can expect from us. Important note: After you switch, you can still change your mind. The law says you can cancel your new contract without a penalty or fee within 3 business days of receiving your Terms of Services document.
4) Get your new bill: The billing transition is easy, too. You’ll get your last bill from your old electric company within 2 to 4 weeks. Your first bill from your new electric company will arrive 4 to 6 weeks after you switch.
5) Find your new electricity company on social media! You may learn about rewards, promotions, and energy giveaways.
Learn about the First Choice Power social media community here!
That’s all there is to it!If you’ve got questions about switching, plans or anything to do with electricity, just give us a call, toll-free, at 1-855-534-3881. We’ll be happy to tell you what we know, and if we can’t answer your question, we’ll help you figure it out. It’s just one of the ways we’re putting you first.