Your electric company sells you the electricity you need, but it doesn't generate the power or maintain the power grid that delivers electricity to your home. Here's what happens:
- Power generation companies operate power plants that use coal, nuclear fuel, natural gas, wind, water, solar power or other renewable sources to produce electricity.
- A poles and wires company (officially called a Transmission and Distribution Provider, or TDSP), handles the physical delivery of electricity power to your home. Your local poles and wires company takes care of:
The electric company you choose sells you your electricity. We help you choose your plan, answer any questions you have and invoice you for the electricity you use.
- Delivering power to people’s homes and businesses over high-voltage transmission lines
- Taking care of poles, lines, meters and other equipment
- Servicing connections and disconnections
- Restoring service after power outages